Zaurus Otaku Kurabu
Z O K
- Zaurus PDA Dictionary Extension: The World in your Pocket -
Ready-To-Use Service: Supplementary Page
Actually, this page is outdated, but I am leaving it up because it does contain some helpful details about memory size and which dictionaries will fit on which CF card. Be sure to also read the front page for up to date information.
What you have to do?
Basically, you must
Now, you may find this a bit tricky: The Zaurus is not for sale overseas, and the software is not trivial to install and operate. Therefore, I am offering ready-to-use installation service. The available dictionaries are:
- Buy a Zaurus (model explanation)
- Buy a Compact Flash memory card: Around 12 000 Yen for 256MB at Sunshine (Oct.), but less should suffice - see below.
- Install all the software and data.
- EDICT family: Jim Breen's family of dictionaries, converted to work in all three directions: Kanji search, hiragana search and English search. The basic dictionary file occupies 6,634KB. The "lot" is a compilation of EDICT plus a number of specialized dictionary files, namely 4jwords (combination words of 4 kanjis), compdic (computer science), compverb (verbs), ediclsd3 (life science/medicine), findic (financial), geodic (geological), lawgledt (law). It occupies 16,681KB. A Japanese name dictionary which is a combined compilation of Jim Breen's enam and jplaces files takes 9,800KB. My compilation of the kanji dictionary kanjidic takes up 1,022KB.
- WaDokuJT: Ulrich Apel's Japanese-German dictionary, also three directional, occupies 19,351KB or 50MB (the large file is easier to use in the German-Japanese direction, but a bit slow).
- EDE, a concise German-English-German dictionary, 8,580KB.
- Kojien (4th edition), the standard Japanese dictionary, occupies 36,662KB. Because it is copyright protected, I cannot copy you the data without proof that you purchased the CD-ROM, but I can buy the CD-ROM on your behalf for 13 000 Yen.
- Eijiro and Giongo are two dictionaries free to download from NIFTY for personal use but not free to distribute further. I would have to charge you 2000 Yen for the CD-ROM, which I would order for you from the authors.
A set of all the above free dictionaries without the larger Wadoku takes up 64MB. With the EDICT family only, you are left with a total of 25MB. Everything together takes 250MB. To be sure, get a compact flash card which is a little (5MB) larger.
(By the way, I often take the compact flash card out of my Zaurus, plug it into a friend's digital camera and take a few pictures, then transfer the pictures to my PC when I come home. Most cool, if you don't have a camera yourself! It must surely be possible to download a proper picture viewer for the Zaurus, but for my black-white display I havn't bothered yet.)
Customized service is possible. Ask me!
Updated Dec. 27, 2001 by Armin Rump